Nurture your joints to maintain the active lifestyle you’re used to
All these issues are common signs of deteriorating joint health during aging.
Our joints are made up of cartilage which allows for smooth movement between two bones, such as while bending and twisting. As we age, we tend to experience limited movement and flexibility, or even pain and stiffness that can be incredibly uncomfortable and limiting.
Common concerns of older adults experiencing joint issues are:
- Inability to be as active as they used to
- Pain, stiffness, and/or swelling
- Can no longer carry out daily activities comfortably, such as bending down, walking, or moving around the home or outside
- Trouble keeping up with family members such as grandchildren and other loved ones
- Getting in the way of living an active life
- Feeling like their body is not keeping up with their mind (e.g., feeling the desire to ride a bike, for instance, but your body is unable to)
Age is just one cause of declining joint health.
Factors such as chronic inflammation, weight, overuse from repeated exercise or other movements, injury, genetics, and inadequate nutrition are all contributors to limited joint functioning.
While many of these causes cannot be changed, chronic inflammation is one factor that can be controlled with simple lifestyle changes. Steps you can take to improve your joint health include:
- Consuming an antioxidant-rich diet, including fresh fruits and vegetables
- Staying as active as you can, including range-of-motion exercises to the best of your ability. Even if your mobility is limited or you experience pain or arthritis, some exercise is better than none
There are many natural health products shown to improve joint health, including ingredients like:
- Boswellia serrata (also known as Indian Frankincense or kondor)
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin C
- Fish oil
- Chondroitin sulfate
In this post we discuss how to maintain healthy, pain-free joints. Do you have pain in your fingers, wrists, knees, elbows, or lower back? These
In this post, we discuss the common concern of brain fog, including what it is and how to prevent it. For some, brain fog might
In this post we discuss what boswellia is and how it helps with joint pain. What is Joint Pain and How Does it Arise? Joints